give me that judgy face, girl.

Today after my class I stopped by Target. This girl loves her Target. For. Real. Boo Walmart. Anyways, I went to Target. So, I'm walking through Target and I come to the baby stuff, not for myself but for my youth pastor from growing up--he's now a pastor at a small church down the street--and his wife. They're 9 month old daughter is the most precious little miss in the world and she's teething. I got to watch her in the parsonage Friday night while they went to a couple's wedding rehearsal. This precious girl has 3 little teeth starting to sprout through, so I thought 'hey I'll go get some of those freezy teething toys for her Monday!' And I did. This afternoon. After class. Now, I am from a small town where multiple friends of mine from high school are pregnant, working on getting pregnant, or already have kids. Young women having babies isn't unusual. We had about 5 or 6 girls that were in my class get pregnant over the years. So, I really shouldn't have been surprised when I got the judgy face. Yes, the judgy face. You know the face, the one where someone just looks at you that certain way and you know that they are judging you so hard. That is the one I got. So, I'm waiting in line with my writable cds and freezy teething toys. When I get up to the register the woman ringing up my stuff just gives me the face. I swipe my debit card, pick up my bag, and say have a wonderful day...and guess what? she just stared at me until I got to the basket drop off. No have a nice day back, just a harsh face judging me for my apparent decision to get pregnant young, when I'm not married, and apparently raise this child on my own. I have so much respect and admiration for single mothers who go above and beyond for their children. A friend of mine from high school is one of those mothers. She is putting herself through college, working at the daycare center that her son attends, and cares for her son through it all. I hope to be as good of a mom as she is one day and by the way, she just turned 20 in March. Now, I understand that this woman might not be judging all young mothers or single mothers for that mother. She might have just thought, 'boy she is too young to have a baby' and that might be true. I personally feel like I am too young to have a child at this moment. It just hurt to stand there and be judged by an accusation, when young women such as my self have to face these judgements every single day of their lives. It breaks my heart.

Go on and give me that judgy face, lady. I'm just buying a teething toy for a sweet baby in pain, whether it is (which it isn't) or it isn't for my own child. It just erks me that someone would judge someone so harshly because of a beautiful gift, a child.

Single mothers are incredible, y'all. I know some of the best ones and some of the best kids who were raised by single mothers.

That's all I've got to say about that. Give me that judgy face, girl. Go on. I can take it.

post signature

Comments

Popular Posts