glory, glory

Well, I've completed my 5th and final year of my undergraduate career. It's crazy to say it. I'm still struggling to wrap my mind around it. I. Am. Finished. Well, give or take a final case assessment, capstone reflection, and self-care paper. Then I will be officially finished. Graduation is in 11 days and I am honestly struggling to emotionally keep it together. It's been a long year and an even longer 6 days. There were presentations and a car wreck with 4 sweet girls killed and 1 in critical condition. I was reading this post a little while ago and I could not contain myself. I cried. Even though I have cried multiple times this week, the tears still started streaming--not nearly as strong as the drive to Athens Wednesday morning when I seriously could not contain my tears of joy and loss and sorrow and excitement for my last Wednesday class ever and leaving the University of Georgia--but they still ran down. Now, as I sit here typing these keys will be drenched in those same tears soon.

Though it's been one of the hardest years to get through, with leaving Athens, moving back home, struggling with with a mild season of depression and loneliness, commuting twice weekly; it's been one of the most rewarding and worthwhile years thus far.

It's hard to believe that we've come to the end. *enter tears*

This university has witnessed the transformation of this girl. I remember when I decided that I would be attending UGA. I had chosen to go to Young Harris College up in the mountains, my deposit was paid, I was deciding what residence hall I would live in, but I was still unsettled about going there. I had a couple of friends going to Georgia and for some reason that where I ended up. I was standing in the church parking lot, talking with my youth pastor, holding up this 'class of 2015' dawg tag that came in the mail, jabbering on and on about not knowing what to do. He said go. He said that I knew that was where I wanted to be, that I would grow and thrive there. He was right. Thanks Whit for encouraging me to follow the call, to follow my heart, to follow what ultimately ended up being where the Lord would have me to be and reveal so much more.

I remember Dawg Camp Classic City and orientation like they were yesterday. I remember walking into Myers Hall to check in for the weekend and nervous because I didn't know anyone. I remember hitting it off with one of the greatest girls that ended up becoming one of my best and dearest friends, sweet Caroline. The same friend that I cheered on the dawgs with every game in Sanford Stadium, the one I stayed up late watching Goonies with for the thousandth time, the one who understood my liberal tendencies and would talk politics and giggle all day, the one that joined Service Ambassadors too, the one that introduced me to Head & the Heart and got me hooked on the best music, the one that would sing at the top of her lungs with me with the windows rolled down. I could go on and on but there wouldn't be enough room. Orientation lead me to a greater love for the University of Georgia. George's orientation group 6 was fantastic. I was proud to have kept my UGA ID for 4 years, until it disappeared to never be found again and sweet Brian, who I went to orientation with, waited for me to get a new one, with less frizzy hair but no better in quality.

I remember every year as though it was yesterday. The Miracle Dance Marathon that I thought would never end, meeting with Trelle in Tucker Hall for the first time and knowing that I was sitting in the school I needed to be apart of, the day I went from Biochemistry and Molecular Biology to Social Work and knowing it was the greatest decision I've ever made, to intro to math modeling with Emily, to Women's Glee, my year in Macon, late night biology lab, Saturday between the hedges, sociology after sociology class, advisement with the wonderful Kathy Lou, adoring my interpersonal communications class, morning ECX bus rides with Brent, that one date with Bradley, weeping on the floor at Wesley to 'With Everything,' the best Freshley small group ever that I still keep in touch with, the awkward but fantastic co-ed small group of junior year, my first social work class ever in the forestry building, 3 years of Relay Spirit, Sunday brunch at O'House before it was fancy, "mountain of possibilities," LeaderShape 2012, developing a love of women's studies, the heartbreak after Tyler, the hike to Baldwin, interning at the greatest ministry with the greatest people, hearing God's voice, the chapel bell ringing in our Penthouse bedroom all night long, Wesley spring breaks trips, living by the river, Sam Burchfield, long days in the Center for Leadership & Service, the power going out for 3 days and having to shower at Emily's (bless you, sweet Em), getting my skirt stuck in my shorts from jumping in heels at the 2011 homecoming game on ESPN when Aaron White got stuck in the hedges, Pineview aka the Christian Ghetto, Campus Kitchens, the ridiculously cute TA not TA of my 3rd year, Thursday nights at Sparrow's Nest, Honduras, Brooklyn Cemetery, New Liberty UMC, weekends at home, Saturdays in Athens, going home with zero voice Saturday night, walking around the arch, Baxter Street Bookstore, Brumby before boys, Snellebrating!, that all night prayer and worship night in the prayer chapel (I've dubbed it "Thirsty Thursday"), discipleship with Kristen, shouting GO DAWGS! at the top of my lungs in a stadium of red, week without Bob, IHOP KC, calculus in the double helix, movie nights with Caleb, late night ladies nights with Amber, Wesley on Wednesdays, summer geography with the newly minted sophomores, fall and summer at the farm, the quietness of Athens in the summer, biking up Baxter and Ag Hill, Selma, Milledge Ave, lunch with Bob, strawberry picking, adventures with Heather, hammocking on Russell Hill and North Campus, frisbee on Myers quad, late nights in O'House in Frances' room, bunk beds in Brumby, walking along the train tracks to the school of music, and ringing that chapel bell one more time.

Beyond blessed. And to believe that these moments only scratch the surface...

Thank you for the good times, thank you for the hard times, thank you for seeing me through. 


There is no tradition more worthy of envy, no institution worthy of such loyalty, as the University of Georgia....and no other place I would rather spend 5 years of my life and experience the movement of the Lord. Bless the dawgs that walk these grounds.

Gooooooooo Dawgs! Sic Em! Woof Woof Woof Woof Woof!!

Glory, Glory. 


Comments

Popular Posts